In this week's episode, Sandy and Jade talk about the over-commercialization of certain geek franchises, and ask, When is too much too much? Then they play catch-up on their cosplay and crafting projects from the past month.
- Click to directly download it from this link.:
- You can also find us on iTunes or subscribe directly to the podcast episode RSS feed.
30 Seconds of Squee
- Sandy Squee: Sandy is gaga over Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs aromatherapy oils - http://blackphoenixalchemylab.com/
- Jade Squee - Jade is sque’ing over the new Doctor Who season. No spoilers.
Over-commercialization of Geek Franchises
The girls discuss the GOOD and BAD of the over-commercialization of our geek fandoms. For the longest time, it was hard to get geek-themed objects, unless it was a limited run made by a fan that you could get at a convention. However, nowadays, this has changed.
Using Star Wars as an example, there might be a super saturation of the market, from Darth Vader showerheads to Chewbaca Coffee Mate creamer.
Where’s the line? How much is too much? Does it lower the mystique of a fandom? Or does it increase your enjoyment?
Sandy found this video by SNL that spoofs collectors vs. kids who buy Star Wars.
Make it Sew - Cosplay Creations
Jade is currently still working on her Jedi outfit. She finished one, and started another.
- T-shirt making at a friends, who recently got a t-shirt press. http://geekgirlcrafts.blogspot.com/2015/11/making-your-own-t-shirts.html
- Also t-shirt mods….. http://geekgirlcrafts.blogspot.com/2015/11/t-shirt-surgery.html
Jade: 200 projects on RAVELRY!
Sandy has 63.
Malabrigo merino Worsted, color Blue Graphite
Quick knit, I’d been meaning to make this for a while, and it felted up beautifully.
A bunch of us gamer geeks are knitting or crocheting the Maple Leaf Knit Shawl by Natalia @ Elfmoda, as part of a December KAL. Mine is in Malabrigo Sock, color Fresco y Seco, a stunning emerald green.
It’s an easy pattern to work, but a lot of counting and record keeping. Make sure everything lines up and you’ll be fine.