In this episode, Sandy & Jade talk about women in comics as well as some of the latest comicbook apps, then Jade gives a con report of Silicon Valley ComiCon. In the second half of the show, they talk about their projects -- knitting, cosplay, and the ilk.
- Click to directly download it from this link.:
- You can also find us on iTunes or subscribe directly to the podcast episode RSS feed.
The girls are back with new technology -- a new recording laptop. They are going to slowly start to replace their podcasting equipment.
- Hugo nominations are open through March 31, 2016 -- http://midamericon2.org/the-hugo-awards/hugo-nominations/
Previews is doing Women in Comics month for March by interviewing a lot of comic book artists, writers, publishers, etc., who just happen to be women. Some great interviews:
In addition, some other women in comics include:
- Kelly Sue DeConnick’s Bitch Planet, Valentine De Landro on art, Image Comics.
- Fiona Staples, on Saga
- G.Willow Wilson, on Ms Marvel.
- Jill Thompson: Beasts of Burden, Scary Godmother,
- Colleen Doran: A Distant Soil, drew the recent Stan Lee biocomic
- Kaja Foglio: Girl Genius co-creator
- Donna Barr: Stinz, The Desert Peach, Afterdead
- Gail M-F’in Simone
Comic book apps have changed how people are reading comic books, much the same way the Kindle and e-books have changed how people read books. Jade & Sandy used to have a lot of long boxes to keep their comicbooks.
- Comixology (also has manga)
- Comics Plus Marvel Unlimited (has subscription to entire back catalog)
- Comic Rack
- Comic Zeal
- iComics Manga: Crunchyroll and Viz Digital, Weekly Shounen Jump, Yen Press has manga and Japanese light novels
Silicon Valley ComiCon
Jade provides a report on her experiences at SVCC. You can read her blogpost about SVCC.
Work and gaming knitting: vanilla socks for Eric in a very old skein of yarn-- Brunswick Nylamb in the color Cranberry.
Reducing down from the heel flap to the feet.
YE GODS KNITTING FOR MEN IS SLOW
Make It Sew:
- Jade had a treadle sewing machine that she gave to Gigi Knitmore. It was a beautiful machine with an Egyptian lotus theme.
- Jade made a case for her archery riser using quilted remnants from the store.
- Currently, Jade is ripping apart an existing commercial bodysuit to use as a pattern.
- Jade & some friends did some headcasting for prop building.